Longtime pastor retiring after 50 years | Business
Rev. Charles Smith, pastor of Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church , is one of the lucky ones. He's been able to do what he loves for nearly 50 years.
"There's nothing that I have done as pastor of this church that I have enjoyed more than the ability to preach the word in a meaningul way," Rev. Smith says.
Unfortunately, he's suffered two strokes in the past year and that has made it difficult to continue. He recently announced he is retiring in May.
"People come up to me and say I heard Rev. Smith is retiring what is Shiloh going to do?" says his wife, Eula, of 24 years.
Friends and family say he will not only be missed at church, but the community as a whole.
Upcoming Events near Downtown - Mid City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Shooting at apartment complex leaves 1 dead, another wounded
- Salvation Army toy roundup set for Saturday
- LSU Police release name, picture of rape suspect
- Two Plaquemine business owners donate thousands of dollars to St. Vincent de Paul
- Deputies: Woman resisting arrest gets tazed, pepper sprayed, calls 911