EBR to kick off annual Christmas tree recycling program | Arts & Culture
The Christmas tree recycling program will offer curbside collection for East Baton Rouge residents, except in Baker and Zachary. Several drop-off locations will also be available.
Recycling Director Susan Hamilton said that Allied Waste will collect Christmas trees placed on the curb between Jan. 9 and Jan. 22.
“The trees will be collected in rear loaders or brush trucks on the resident’s trash collection day in a separate pass, stated Hamilton. “The Christmas trees are then delivered to Natural Resources Recovery, Inc., the city-parish woody-waste recycling contractor, where they are processed into compost or mulch,” Hamilton continued.
Christmas trees should be placed at the curb separate from other unbundled trash and woody waste. Residents should remove tinsel, metal stands, lights, and ornaments from trees before recycling them because those items can contaminate mulch and compost.
These drop-off collection sites will open Monday, December 26, and continue to accept trees through Monday, Jan. 30.
- Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd.
- Highland Road Park, 14024 Highland Road
- Kathy Drive Park, off O’Neal Lane by Team Toyota
- Flannery Road Park, 801 S. Flannery Road
- Pecue Wood Recycling Facility, 9455 Pecue Lane
- Scenic Hwy. Wood Recycling Facility, 12601 Scenic Hwy.
- LSU, Skip Bertman Drive in lot across from Vet School
For more information, call the recycling office at (225) 389-5194 for more information, or visit the website.
Upcoming Events near Downtown - Mid City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Shooting victim identified at apartment complex, another wounded
- Salvation Army toy roundup set for Saturday
- LSU Police release name, picture of rape suspect
- Two Plaquemine business owners donate thousands of dollars to St. Vincent de Paul
- Deputies: Woman resisting arrest gets tazed, pepper sprayed, calls 911